Truckload Trailer Types
Here you will see the specifications listed for Flatbed and Dry Vans, and Specialized Trucking Trailers such as Step Deck Trailers, RGN – (Removable Gooseneck Trailer), Lowboy Trailers, Dry Vans, PO (Power Only), Flatbed Stretch Trailers, Extendable Double Drop Trailers, Refrigerated, Conestogas, Heavy Haulers, Sidekits, Lowboy Trailers, Stretch RGN or Removable Goosenecks and Over Dimensional trailers. This will assist you on how to determine the quality and types of flatbed trailers that you need to carry and transport your load or freight. It is important to take note the total weight of the freight as well as the dimensions of a particular type for proper and accurate Flat Bed & Specialized trucking rates.
Each Flat Bed truck is different from the other types so the information that you will be seeing here should be used and treated as your general guideline. Typically, most of the platform trailers mentioned here are capable of handling freight that may even exceed the dimensions and weights for a required permit in a particular province and even premium charges that are needed to be obtained prior to your specific type of shipment.
It is important to note that each type of trailer is not similar to the other types and that the dimension and weight capacity of each is based on the corresponding trucking specifications, or axle configuration of a particular semi-tractor and trailer used. For each type of trailer, their corresponding weight and dimension capacity are also listed and the figures are listed approximately. Thus, the numbers or figures that you will see on the list can be used as an estimate guideline for freight and load planning. More importantly, these figures should not be used as your basis in making loading calculations that require accuracy and precision.
Flat Bed Trailers
Flatbeds are extremely popular and are widely used because they exude a great sense of versatility. Generally, a flatbed is used to load product on its tip, sides, and rear. With these capabilities, flatbeds have truly become the primary and leading assets of the trucking industry.
This kind of trailer has the capability to carry a maximum legal freight dimension and weight which are as follows:
- Flatbed Trailers Maximum freight weight of 48,000 lbs
- Tri-axle Trailers Maximum Freight Weight of 65,000 lbs
- Flatbed Trailers Maximum freight dimensions:
Maximum Flatbed Trailer Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
Maximum Flatbed Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
Maximum Legal Freight Height- 8.5 ft
Dry Van and Enclosed Trailers
Dry Van trailers are generally enclosed and are commonly used to carry and protect the freights from the harmful elements of the weather or the roads. Freights can be loaded on the rear and are commonly loaded using a loading dock. It is similar to a curtain van and it can be loaded from its side too. Legal weight and dimensions are:
- Dry Van Maximum freight weight is 42,000 lbs to 45,000 lbs.
- Dry Van Tri-Axle Freight weight is 63,000 lbs
- Dry Van Maximum freight dimensions:
Maximum Dry Vans Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
Maximum Dry Vans Width- 8.2 ft
Maximum Dry Vans Height- 8 ft
Refrigerated Trailers and Reefers
Refrigerated trailer is a temperature-controlled type of trailer. It is generally used for transporting chilled or frozen products. The temperature inside this trailer can be controlled whatever the outside weather is. Freight Rate Central has the refrigerated trailer you need, regardless of the size of your load or the type of cargo you need shipped. Legal weight and dimensions are:
- Refrigerated Trailers Max freight weight is 42,000 to 45,000 lbs
- Tri-Axle Trailers Max freight weight is 63,000 lbs
- Refrigerated Trailers Maximum freight dimension:
Maximum Refrigerated Trailers Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
Maximum Refrigerated Trailers Width- 8.2 ft
Maximum Refrigerated Trailers Height- 8 ft
A Lowboy Trailer is an non-powered trailer which is commonly used to haul freight. These kinds of trailers are generally designed to carry and transport taller goods and items. This means that the items to be carried to a Lowboy Trailer are taller than the legal height of items that are commonly carried by flatbeds. Our expert advisers will indicate if you need permits for your particular load or type of freight. Basically, a lowboy that has two axles can haul around 40,000 pounds. The maximum weight and dimensions are as follows:
- Lowboys Maximum weight is 40,000 pounds for a 2-axle Lowboy Trailer; additional weight of up to 95,000 pounds depending on the number of axles used (weight of the trailer and weight of the load added together).
- Lowboys Maximum Dimensions:
Maximum Lowboy Well Length- 24 ft – 29.6 ft
Maximum Lowboy Well Height- 18 in – 24 in
Maximum Legal Width- 8.5 ft
Maximum Legal Freight Height- 11.5 ft – 12 ft
Maximum Legal Overall Load Height- 14 ft
Step Deck Trailers – Single Drop Trailers
Stepdeck Trailers are otherwise known as drop deck types and they are in fact a version of the flatbed trailer design that mainly consists of a bottom and top deck. These trailers are specifically designed to carry and haul freights that cannot be carried or transported on a standard type of flatbed, which is usually due to height restrictions. The maximum legal dimensions and weight for a Stepdeck – Step Deck Trailers are as follows:
- Stepdecks Maximum freight weight is 48,000 lbs
- Tri-Axle Maximum freight is 65,000 lbs
- Stepdecks Maximum freight dimensions:
Maximum Stepdeck Trailer Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
Maximum Stepdeck Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
Maximum Legal Freight Height- 10 ft
Extendable Flatbed Stretch Trailers
These are extendable flatbeds and are otherwise known as flatbed stretch types. They are mainly used for carrying loads or freights that are excessively long and cannot be carried by a standard type of trailer. It is also a type of trailer that provides maximum support, avoiding the possibility of overhanging freight. The maximum legal dimensions and weight for a Flatbed Stretch Trailer are as follows:
- Extendable Flatbeds Maximum freight weight of 43,000 lbs
- Tri-Axle Maximum freight weight is 65,000 lbs
- Extendable Flatbeds Maximum freight dimensions:
Maximum Extendable Flatbed Trailer Length- 48 ft – 80 ft
Maximum Extendable Flatbed Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
Maximum Extendable Flatbed Legal Freight Height- 8.5 ft
Stretch Single Drop Deck Trailer
Stretch Single Dropdeck Trailers are specifically designed to carry and haul freights that are very long for a standard or traditional step deck due to length restrictions. It also provides support thus, preventing overhang. Legal weight and dimensions are as follows:
- Stretch Single Drops Max freight weight is 45,000 lbs.
- Stretch Single Drops Maximum freight dimensions:
Max Stretch Single Drop Trailer Length- Main Deck 35 ft – 63 ft
Max Stretch Single Drop Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
Max Stretch Single Drop Legal Freight Height- 10 ft
Stretch Double Drop Trailers
A Stretch Double-Drop Trailer is generally used for carrying oversized shipments. Its lower deck allows you to load products that can be as tall as 10 feet. It also comes with a so-called “well” a longer piece at the trailer’s back deck and middle portion. The well usually measures from 25 feet to 29 feet. Legal weight and dimensions are as follows:
- Stretch Double Drops Max freight weight is 58,000 pounds.
- Stretch Double Drops Maximum freight dimensions:
Max Stretch Double Drop Trailer Length- Main Deck 29 ft – 65 ft
Max Stretch Double Drop Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
Max Stretch Double Drop Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft
Extendable Double Drop Trailers
The Extendable Double Drop Trailer is commonly used to carry and haul freight that come with excessive length and can never be carried by a standard double drop trailer. Depending on the weight, this trailer can either have 2 or 3 axles. Legal weight and dimensions are:
- Extendable Double Drops Max freight weight is 44,000 lbs
- Tri-Axle Double Drops Max weight is 58,000 lbs
- Extendable Double Drops Maximum freight dimensions:
Max Extendable Double Drop Trailer Length- 29 ft – 50 ft
Max Extendable Double Drop Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
Max Extendable Double Drop Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft
RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers
RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers are excellent for carrying tall and long freight. It comes with a detachable front, allowing the trailer to be dropped on the ground in order to create a ramp. It is capable of hauling and carrying freights weighing up to 150,000 pounds. It can go from 3 axles up to 20 plus axles for heavier shipments. RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers are more specialized so they render a more expensive usage. Legal weight and dimensions of a RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers are as follows:
- RGN’s Minimum freight weight dependent on axle configuration is 44,000 to 150,000 lbs.
- Removable Gooseneck – RGN Maximum freight dimensions:
Maximum Removable Gooseneck – RGN Well Length- Main Deck 29 ft
Maximum Removable Gooseneck – RGN Well Width- 8.5 ft
Maximum Removable Gooseneck – RGN Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft
Stretch RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailers
The Stretch RGN or Removable Gooseneck Trailer is designed to carry and haul freight that are too long to be carried by a standard type of RGN. Depending on the weight of the freight, axles may range from 3 axles or higher. This means that the heavier the load is the more axles are to be used. Legal weight and dimensions are:
- Stretch RGN or Removable Goosenecks Maximum freight weight is 45,000 pounds to 150,000 pounds or more.
- Stretch RGN Maximum freight dimensions:
Max Stretch RGN Length in Well- Main Deck 29 ft to 65 ft
Max Stretch RGN Trailer Width- 8.5 ft
Max Stretch RGN Legal Freight Height- 11.6 ft
Conestoga trailers come with a rolling tarp system that is used to cover and uncover the trailer and gives protection to the freight. They can come as regular flats or step decks.
- Conestoga Trailers Max freight weight is 42,000 lbs to 65,000 lbs.
- Various configurations such as step decks and tri-axles
- Conestoga Trailers Maximum freight dimensions:
Maximum Dry Vans Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
Maximum Dry Vans Width- 8.2 ft
Maximum Dry Vans Height- 8 ft
Side Kit Trailers
The Sidekit trailer is equipped with a panel made from either plywood or fiberglass and commonly used for carrying goods that can never be packaged or crated.
- Sidekit Trailers Max freight weight is 42,000 lbs to 58,000 lbs.
- Sidekit Trailers Maximum freight dimensions:
Maximum Sidekit Trailers Length- 48 ft – 53 ft
Maximum Sidekit Trailers Width- 8.2 ft
Maximum Sidekit Trailers Height- 8.6 ft
Super B Trailers
The Super B trailer is equipped 2 Trailers. 32′ Lead and a 28′ Pup. These trucks are fantastic for shipping lumber and heavy volume commodities. With 5-6 axles, they can carry up to 95,000 lbs.
- Super B Trailers Max freight weight is 95,000 lbs
- Super B Trailers Maximum freight dimensions:
- Maximum Super B Trailers Length- 32 ft
Maximum Super B Trailers Pup – 28 ft
Maximum Super B Trailers Height- 8.6 ft
The power only trailer is a special type that is generally used in towing various types of trailers, and it usually comes with a fifth wheel hitch, pintle hitch, and ball and hitch. Only four axles are allowed when the freight is overweight.
- Maximum Power Only freight weight and dimensions depend on the type of trailer that is being towed / hauled (provincial requirements should be strictly followed).
Specialized trailers are specifically made for certain types of freights and are commonly used with perimeter, double gooseneck, and dolly trailers.
- Specialized Trucking Trailers max freight weight is 200,000 pounds or more.
- Maximum Specialized Trucking Trailers dimensions (depends on the regulations imposed by the province)
We at Paige Logistics offer a wide range of equipment options in order to meet the needs, requirements and specifications of our customers. Aside from our timely door to door service, we also cover various aspects of a project such as permitting, routing, clearances, inspections, and tarps.